The e-mail account is one of the primary targets for hackers – anyone who has access to your e-mails will quickly know which online shops and services you are registered with and will probably also find out all sorts of private information. That’s why it’s important to set an individual and secure password for your Gmail account. Here you can find out how to change your Gmail password and what you can do if you have forgotten your password.
The same password is used for access to Gmail (also Google Mail) as for all other services accessed via a Google account, including the YouTube account.
Change Gmail Password (PC & App)
If you want to change your Gmail password for security reasons, it’s very simple:
- Opens the Gmail login page in a new tab and log in with your account.
- Click on yours Profile picture (top right).
- Choose the one here Manage Google Account button at.
- In the menu (left) click on the point “Personal Data”.
- Here you can find under “Profile” the “Password” menu itemclick on it.
- Confirm your login data again by using one of the login options (password, smartphone, security code).
- carry under “New Password” and “Confirm new password” enter your new desired password.
- Finally click on the “Change password” buttonto apply your password update.
- Opens the Gmail app on your smartphone or tablet.
- Tap that Menu icon (≡)swipe down and tap “Ideas”.
- choose that Gmail account for which you want to change the password.
- Under “Account” you will find the option “Manage Google Account”tap it.
- Swipe right to “Personal data” tab.
- Under “Profile” you will find the last point “Password”tap it.
- Use one of the login options (password, smartphone, security code) to confirm your identity.
- give in “New Password” and “Confirm new password” enter your new desired password.
- Finally tap on the “Change password” button.
Forgot Password? Reset Gmail Password
Nowadays your Google account (and therefore also Gmail) is usually linked to an Android smartphone – alternatively you have stored a phone number or another email address for account recovery. If this is the case, resetting the password is very easy.
- Opens the Google login page in a new tab and enter your Gmail address.
- Select when entering the password “Forgot Password?”.
- Google gives you one Possibility of account recovery (smartphone, email, phone number).
Alternatively, you can also “Other Options” Click to enter an old password for verification, for example.
- If you have confirmed your identity via your mobile phone or a code via email or SMS, for example, you will then be redirected to set up a new password.
- You can then use the new password to log in to Gmail again as usual.
No account recovery possible?
If you don’t have a paired device or other methods of verifying your identity (email, phone number) set up in your account, you can actually lock yourself out of your Gmail account. In this case, you should consider whether you might have saved your password on some device.
For example, have you saved your account data in the browser of your old desktop computer, are you possibly using a password manager or an email client on one of your devices where you can look up the login data? You can find out how to read passwords here:
If that doesn’t bring you the success you hoped for either and the Gmail account contains important emails, the only thing left to do is try to find a solution to the problem with Google customer service.
Learn more about changing your password
Even the giant Google is not immune to hacker attacks and user data and passwords from Gmail accounts have been tapped several times in the past. In such a case, as a precaution, you should always update your password so that the attackers do not have access to your private messages.
If you want to change the password of your Gmail account, it is very important that you never use a password twice. This is the only way to prevent third parties from using your access data to gain access to several accounts at the same time and thus easily get payment information, addresses and more.
You should use two-factor authentication with Google Authenticator. In addition, it is advisable to completely delete an account when you no longer use the service. You can find out how this works in the case of the e-mail provider here: